Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 Uncommitted RHP / IF 87-90 MPH, 6'1 175 lbs, 1410 SAT"

Buckeye 2015 posted:
adbono posted:
FriarFred posted:

I guess I will carry the banner for the D2 schools...  There are many excellent D2 schools in Florida that have great academics and very competitive baseball programs.  Embry Riddle is an excellent engineering school, Flagler, Tampa, Rollins, Eckerd etc.  I dont have all those rankings handy, but know you can get a great education and some very good baseball that may be a fit for you.  May be worth reaching out to them...

Fred is right that those are all good D2 schools that play very competitive baseball.  But according to the OP, he started pitching a couple months ago. So he wouldn't be ready for any of these right now either.  

He's not going to college right now...he's got another year and a half until he could possibly see the mound in a college game.  There are plenty of opportunities for a guy with that kind of velocity.  Heck, a friend of mine (and now a D3 HC) pitched in HS, then 1 inning in 4 years of college....was a D3 All-American SS.  Not drafted....went to a tryout with the Cardinals who watched him warm up....marveled at his size & 90+ mph FB and signed him as a pitcher.  His World Series ring says that longshots always have a chance if the right opportunity comes along.  Willy is here asking for help....if it works, fine, if not, fine too, he sounds like he realizes that..... but we don't need to discourage him before he even gets started.

I am being realistic.  Are you ?  At this point he is a project - not a prospect.  Granted, a project worth taking a chance on if what he states is true.  My advice was to find JUCO that will teach him how to pitch.  As a project he will most likely not see the mound at any 4 year program for 2 years.  At a JUCO he would have a chance to pitch & develop during those 2 years. Because, once again, he has been pitching for 2 months. I don't see that as discouraging at all.  I see that as practical advice from someone who has actually lived this experience. You may have missed the part where I said I was in his shoes once upon a time. My advice is based on my own personal experience - not a friend's. Good measurables don't get hitters out. Good pitchers do. Good measurables are an indication that a player has a higher probability  of becoming a good player. That's all. Those statements are also based on my own personal experiences - both as a player and a coach.