Skip to main content

Reply to "2018 WWBA Underclass World Championship"

Chico Escuela posted:
CTbballDad posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I've always liked your posts, so I want to be as helpful as possible.  I don't agree that's how travel baseball works, or should work.  I agree there are many teams/organizations that have their owns interests at heart, not necessarily the players.  They pick up players for big tourneys, so they can win and boast of their trophies. I've been in those and gladly walked away before it was too late.

If you're paying for a team that is going to suppress your son, rather than promote him, find one that will. 

Thanks--I appreciate that.  And I agree with what you wrote.  My son's team has been fair to him thus far.  And I'm hopeful this weekend will turn out all right--if not, then we'll reassess for spring.  If I were running a travel program, it would be hard to say "no" if a couple of P5-committed pitchers were available for a major tournament.  As a parent I get that--it's a question of whether a team still manages to take care of its own players.  

Anyhow--if anyone has helpful suggestions / info about this tournament, pls weigh in.  I have only been to the July PG tournaments in GA (and have never been to Ft. Myers at all).

My son did not go to the Underclass but went to the Upper Class as a junior last year.  For what it's worth, it was a very impressive tournament.  Most of the best teams in the country were there, many great players were add-ons, and there were no teams I saw that were mediocre or worse.  There were dozens of scouts and college coaches at every game and some games seemed to have hundreds.  An advantage of having a couple P5 pitchers added is that it gives your team a chance to go deeper into the tournament and get more eyes on all the players.  Your coach may use the P5 guys in pool play to get a good seeding, or he may save them for bracket play to try to go deep.  It's fair to ask him when you son will pitch so that college coaches can put him in their plans.  I am assuming you've got an active dialog with the coach regarding the colleges following your son and he's actively helping him get recruited.