Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 College Baseball Season"

Trust In Him posted:
roothog66 posted:

CSUN had a decent weekend. Split four with Kansas State, but dropped two games with late collapses on the mound. Dalton didn't dress for this series. His velocity had dropped from 90-93/96 in the late summer/early fall to 86-88 the last couple of weeks before the season started and the HC had him completely take off nine days with no throwing although he swears there is no physical problem. He was supposed to throw a pen on Tuesday to prepare, but it rained Tue through Thur and CSUN has no indoor facilities. 

Luckily, because there had been rain in the forecast, we had canceled going to Cali this past weekend and decided to go this coming weekend for a four game series against Gonzaga. 

Some notes from the weekend. One thing that has surprised me is the lack of velocity form CSUN's staff. Probably our most efficient starter, whose dad is on this board, sits 78-81 and tops out occasionally at 82. Great secondary stuff, though. Outside of Dalton, there is one pitcher on the staff that can consistently pitch in the low 90's and he gave up six runs in the ninth yesterday in a 5-5 game. There are several contributors on the staff that sit high 70's/low 80's. Just a note for those stuck on the idea that you HAVE to throw 90+ to pitch D1.

CSUN has shown much improvement over the recent years.  It seems like coaches always find a few gems through the JC route.  It wouldn't surprise me to see CSUN up at the top contending with Fullerton and Long Beach. 

They might if some things come together. Only one returning starter in the field, but the newcomers have hit the hell out of the ball so far. One thing that did impress me was that Coach Moore really stepped up the non-conference schedule this year adding K State, Gonzaga, Iowa, Michigan, and St. John's in addition to UCLA and USC.