Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 College Freshmen"

I'll chime in and thanks for starting it PitchingFan. My son is wrapping up his first week of classes at a school with a historically middle-of-the-road baseball program in a top tier D3 conference. We dropped him off last week and the orientation schedule had him going basically non-stop until this past Monday (first day of classes). He's managed to work out a few times, played some catch with his teammates, hit just about every day (the baseball facilities are very close to his dorm), and is generally getting settled. He also got the good news today that he passed the medical review board for the AROTC program which, if any of you have followed anything I've posted over the last year, is a significant deal for him given shoulder surgery a year ago . In reality, I never really had any concern about this but we had to go through the rigamarole of sending in additional medical information i.e. every single report, image, diagnosis, note, and prescription. Needless to say we killed a tree during the process.

The baseball team starts "official" lifting next week and the first official practice is 9/30. D3 has a relatively short window for fall practice and I'm told it will get pretty intense during that period. Because of this, his program has elected only to intrasquad (rather than play outside opponents) to essentially double the number of ABs and IPs for the guys.

Best of luck to everyone else in this pool!