Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 College Freshmen"

anotherparent posted:
RJM posted:
Goosegg posted:

"My son managed to . . .  break his phone in his first week."

My son used that excuse for four years!

I heard five years of ... forgot to charge my phone the previous night. He got on edge when I suggested he try the “on” button.

When I did catch him it seemed he was always on the way to the library. When I called him on it he said it’s the best place to meet girls. “Let’s go somewhere so we can talk out loud.”

We'll see!  Took 10 days to replace and activate the phone, during which he came down with strep throat - on a weekend - had to get himself to an urgent care clinic with no phone (not easy when you are a teenager used to using Uber).  He would have called at that point if he could!  Instead we only got emails when he was in wifi zones.  Says everyone in his dorm is sick with something; they've had just long enough to share all their germs with each other, just when practices/scrimmages are ramping up.

First year being an adult can be a challenge. My son had all of his $$ budgeted out to last the semester (including his share of the house rent of 3600 %#!&* dollars a month) and I trusted his ability to handle it. His bank statements came to the house and I never checked until he indicated he was running out of money. I looked through his statements and found he was averaging $750/mo. on McDonald's/Wendy's/In-N-Out Burger.