Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 commitment"

Buckeye 2015 posted:
BBall Dad2001 posted:

Thanks for the reply. They offered him a guaranteed roster spot. We were very late in the recruiting game and had a bunch of NAIA and JUCO colleges in Arizona giving him both athletic and academic money but his dream was to play D1. He verbally committed a couple of weeks ago and was curious as to if we made the right choice or should he with go back to schools with better offers or wait and see how his senior season goes. I believe he will compete for playing and has a good shot at playing D1. The coach said that he knows he can hit and play 1B, to have a better shot at earning a spot in the lineup he should learn the OF. He has been doing a great job in fall ball learning the OF. Thanks again for your reply. 

As others have said, the coach has nothing to do with Academic money....your son gets what he's qualified for...same as any other student.  The coach can't "find" extra academic money.  

Buckeye I agree with many many of your posts here, you get it in a big picture way....however I think you are just wrong here. 

A coach can't necessarily "find" money. I will agree with that as a statement of truth - but and this is a huge but - He can be connected to the ultimate decision makers who do. Schools can prioritize students in any reasonable way. Any student can get a min or max of what they are eligible for. There are typically multiple scholarships available, they can be pointed in the right direction, they can be on the list as a virtual guarantee for a percentage of funds when maybe there is not enough funds for every eligible student etc. There are a million ways, ok not a million but many ways to funnel things "properly" as needed.

This happens in every school, every church, every business, every non profit - every damn place that there are human beings that have something that is important to a person with influence and decision making power - INCLUDING COLLEGES AT ALL LEVELS. To think or believe it doesn't happen...please stop - it is just incorrect and honestly not reasonable.