Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 CWS Press Conference - Jake Mangum / Miss St takes the Microphone"

You will never hear an argument from me that the coaches don't deserve the paid positions and that there shouldn't be more scholarships available, but this interview was based on emotion not logic. Which I get it, he's strongly connected to his coaches and teammates and sees what work they put in. But Ms St is in a different world than Quinnipiac, UMAss, Lafayette, and LaSalle. 

The idea behind the lack of scholarships and unpaid positions is that it costs too much. It is easy to say give us more money, but if it is not there there isn't a ton to do. Schools like MS St have it, schools in the Patriot League do not. If P5 schools were to offer 27 full scholarships you would never hear from the likes of Coastal, DBU, Fullerton, Long Beach, Rice, etc again. These schools that can offer a tweener 50% are not going to get the chance because that kid will have already committed to a P5 for a full ride. 

I mentioned this on the other thread, but another thing that flies under the radar are public schools in baseball rich areas. Why do you think all these public schools from baseball meccas have rosters that are 90% in state? It's not because the players are talented, there are talented players everywhere, it is because it costs nothing to get them. University of Florida costs 6k a year. A 25% bare minimum offer is better than a 70% offer at another school financially. Which is why I would argue for full rides across the bar. Even if they bump it up to 15 scholarships per team. I would rather see them as 15 full rides for 15 players than split among the 27.