Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 HS Baseball Season"

Dadof3 posted:

In hs, do they try out by position? IE does coach ask what 2 positions do you want to try out for?  My son will be in hs next year and his current coach told the kids if a coach is to ask you what position do you play, your reponse should be,”anywhere you need me coach.” Which I thought was good.  But that might not be applicable if they have to try out by position. 

Depends on the coach and if he sees kids that stand out and are locks at certain positions he may have kids work out in positions other than their primary ones to see who can help. For instance, my sons HS used an 8th grade feeder team to kind of determine where kids lined up for their progression into HS ball. My son was a darn good catcher, but there was another kid at tryouts who was a year older and more physically mature who was pretty clearly going to lock down that spot. Son worked out in MIF and is now playing a completely new position. Pays to be versatile for sure, because he made the cut over others who were primary in that position.