Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 HS Baseball Season"

PlayWithEffort posted:
Qhead posted:
PlayWithEffort posted:

Tryouts are done.

Practice has started and the weather is cold and wet.

T min byus 30 day’s here in Georgia. 

Oh...and rumor has it there is an intra-squad game today. I might try to sneak over and watch a little of it. 

This is so different than here in NE Ohio.  Forecast this weekend is for a foot of snow lol.  But regardless of weather, what about basketball?  There is a little overlap but for the most part, the Ohio HS Athletic Association rules do not permit one sport seaon to start until the other is done (other than playoffs).  There are still at least 40 or so days left in the regular HS basketball season (not counting playoffs) - and you're starting baseball practice already and games in 30?  That's cool by me, just noting that it is different.  What about the boys who play both basketball and baseball (perish the thought)?

Basketball ends regular season on Feb 9 with tournament finals ending March 6-9. Basketball players typically start freeing up in mid to late February (assuming most don’t reach the semi finals or better.

GHSA requires players to finish their season (current sport) prior to practicing / playing in the next sport.

Baseball can start practice Jan 14. First game can start as early as Feb 11. The overlap is usually only a week or two for most players and they wait until basketball season ends prior to joining the baseball team. 

I did not k kw GHSA says a a player can not practice or play in the next season sport until the current season  sport is over.  Thanks for the info