Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 HS Baseball Season"

Senna posted:
meads posted:

A bit discouraged here as I am realizing that Freshman ball doesn't really matter and its all nothing but a way for Varsity coaches to scope out who they have coming up for JV and Varsity next year and in the coming years- that's fine and all, but the Freshman team were doing well this year with a record of 10-4 then the coaches started messing with who they put where and even put some kids in to play who have been on the DL list most of the season (don't get me wrong, they deserve to get some play time as well) but a PO the coaches put at 2B and in 1 game; the kid cost us literally 12 runs in the 1st inning ( so not exaggerating this)

Our record now is 10-10. Just like that! My son is playing better over all, but just frustrated with some of the attitudes in the dugout- he knows to keep his mouth shut and just DO HIS JOB!

Saturdays game was an absolute nightmare- the way they played as a team, I have seen 11U teams who played better- fly balls dropped with 3 guys watching the ball, one ball FO to 1st, no one catches it, no one touches it- if they would have just picked it up and touched 1st base, that would have been an easy out- instead the batter was safe and they scored a run

After games, in the car, with windows rolled up is our time to vent, recall events that occurred during the game and bad mouth some of the players and review what he did in the game. He is very hard on himself and we discuss what he did, what he could have done instead and what he will do next time.

I dare not say anything to the coaches, I do know that the head varsity coach is in charge of making up a list of who plays where and when they hit and the freshman coaches make tweaks along the way- but I just want to scream WHY!!!!

A counterpoint from my end.  No players on Senna Jr's team were self-declared POs. A solid 1/3 of the team rode the bench for 3/4 of the year (majority of appearances for a few were as courtesy/pinch runners). I would have loved to see them get in the games much more often just to get a real look at their ability and let them get to work in a game situation. I watched a lot of players who couldn't get it done on the field time and again continue to get starting spots while other players who were just as good if not better rode the pine. Was frustrating to see, especially as this should be all about development and seeing who can make it happen in game (not in the cages or during practice). Senna Jr started or played in nearly all games, so this isn't about him. 

A lot of boys from our Summer team are seeing the same issues on their school teams and can't wait for summer ball to start. I am excited to see how much my son has pushed to show the coaches he means business and how hard he works and when he plays, he knows he has earned that spot and to DO HIS JOB whether its the whole game or an inning.

We both get frustrated when the "elite starters" make error after error and cry like babies, but it also makes us laugh- as their season comes to a close (Thursday they start regionals and it will all be in the books by next Wednesday) he looks forward not only to Summer ball but also to playing JV and hopefully some Varsity next Spring! I don't see a couple of the boys making the JV team next year unless over the summer they really work hard and improve (a lot)!

(As to the PO, our coaches gave DH, PO and PR spots to 4 kids who were told they didn't make the team but would offer them a spot if they accept this only position)