Skip to main content

2019 prospect getting anxious without solid offers yet

Would love anyone's thoughts on this. Here is where we're at:

My son is a 6'2" 195 pound CF/RHP. Starter on his varsity team since Freshman year. Top-3 player on his travel team, been to IMG, PG (including Lake Pointe) and PBR showcases. Runs a 7.03 60, outfield velocity 92, bat exit velocity 95, top fastball on the mound 87. Plays football (which meant he had to miss a few fall travel tournaments last year) but has been working extremely hard in the off season and barring injury, should have a monster junior year. He has a 3.7 GPA and scored a 1210 on the SAT in his first attempt.

He's had several nibbles. A mid-tier D1 school followed him like a puppy dog at all of his games at Lake Point last year, he's done an unofficial visit at a Big Ten school, he's gone to camps at a few top D-1 schools and gone up to speak to coaches who clearly knew who he is. All good, right?

My feeling is that signing day with his senior year is fast approaching - too fast. So many top programs already have committed 9-14 players in his class, while he hasn't had any solid verbal offers. Clearly he is on a few radar screens, but I'm wondering if given his stats/reputation he should have been committed by now?

He's really hoping to go to a top-30 baseball school primarily as a centerfielder who possibly can pitch. Are our hopes too high? Should we attack more mid-tier D-1 programs? D-2/D-3? Or should we just chill out and expect to gain interest and possibly offers once the college season is over?

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Original Post