Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 prospect getting anxious without solid offers yet"

SomeBaseballDad posted:

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned juco. It seems my kid has found a home but at times I've regretted not giving that route a closer look. Maybe not as prestigious as DI but it would seem to provide one a much better understanding of where they fit in on the field at the college level. 

if I had to do it over again for my 1st one, JUCO would have been the route right away.  His numbers were almost identical to your son's.  (87/88 of the mound) He had sniffs from mid-level D1 and some IVY, but in the end "settled" for a D2 without doing his homework on fit as a student.  He hated it and went to JUCO for year 2 where he matured physically and mentally.  He is now a D1 that should do well in the regionals this year.

As far as 2 way, it is unbelievably hard.  Best kid here in AZ my son's senior year, all state QB, ran a 6.5, 91-92 mph fastball and was state Gatorade player of the year, he has struggled as 2-way guy at a mid-major.  Only other kid I know is a JUCO transfer to a top 30 program.  Big lefty that is 91-92 and has 10-15 HR potential at first.  They will give him a chance this year to try 2 way, but we will see how that works out.