Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 prospect trying to finalize summer schedule"

My wife complained that I made the initial post way too long!  Sorry for that.  For sake of brevity, hoping to find out two questions:

1) Do D1 coaches heavily scout PG national 18U Memorial Day tournaments?

2) Is PG 17U WWBA tournament in GA enough for a kid that is interested in playing DI?  What's the next most important 17U national summer tournament as measured by D1 coaches in attendance?

Bob- thanks for the question.  Yes, he already has an Area Code invite lined up from a Yankees scout.  Will finalize after March 1 registrations open.

RJM- Great point about supply and demand in TX and on West Coast.  Seems like Midwestern schools may be more likely source of offers, or that we will have to work very hard to cultivate CA/TX schools.  At the same time, also heartening that at a large camp down in Houston last summer one Texas mid-major coach expressed some (mild) interest.  Agree completely about D3 schools, as does my son!

Cabbagedad- Interested in economics/diplomacy/int'l relations, which is one big reason why he wants to know some part of America besides where he grew up and goes to school.  Other metrics: in terms of size >3,000 (He'd be very happy playing ball for a 25,000 student Big Ten school!) . OOS tuition, okay, since it will be equal to D3 private school tuition on the East Coast, though he is cost conscious since he'll be paying for grad school on his own.  Will 'bump' Monday AM if I can figure out how!  Good advice.

Finally, forgot to mention- Exit velo = 91 in recent summer team tryout.  Arm from 3B = 85 last summer.  Skipped basketball this season to focus on strength training.

Many thanks to everyone.  This is incredibly helpful.  Will be happy to have summer scheduled and start making travel plans.