Skip to main content

2019 (Soph) on JV.....will it hurt recruiting chances?

Son did not participate in December/January high school pre-season baseball activities because he plays another sport. After going to high school baseball tryouts (tryouts lasted 2 days) he was placed on JV.

Strong PG ranking, plays and starts for a high level nationally known travel ball team, has done well at big tournaments and showcases - especially this past summer where D1 recruiting interest began. After seeing his video and then watching him play in person, several D1 recruiting coordinators asked for son to call them (college coaches went through travel coach and former high school coach - who is no longer coaching). Son also sent transcripts (strong student) at their request. Has even been asked by a coach to visit (unofficial of course) campus to see facilities, meet coaches, and watch a game, which we plan to do in a few weeks as college baseball gets going.

Everything was moving along quite nicely until this JV situation. I know from reading past posts that this whole thing is a bumpy ride. I'm happy that  he does not seem too bothered by being placed on JV - he's actually having fun being one of the leaders on the team and hitting extremely well in pre-season games so far.....although in his heart of hearts I know he believes he belongs on Varsity. Personally, I hope that this doesn't affect his status with these college coaches - I think that would be a shame.

I wanted to get some feedback. Especially from those that have been in a similar spot. Thank you all as always.

WCP  

Original Post