Skip to main content

Reply to "2019 (Soph) on JV.....will it hurt recruiting chances?"

Westcostpapa - I can attest that not playing varsity as a sophomore doesn't hurt college chances. My LHP got cut his freshman and sophomore years from JV. He tried out as a junior and made varsity. However, he got very little pitching time but when he did fared well. He doesn't have overpowering stuff (82-84) but good control with a nasty change and curve ball. During the summer between his junior and senior years, he was the primarily reliever for his travel team. He got attention from several D2, D3 and NAIA schools, and he made sure to let coaches of schools he was interested in know where he was playing. Just about every weekend there was coach at his games watching him. Several time coaches came out to watch him pitch and then leave, even though there were good players/pitchers on the field. It was obvious they were there to watch him. He ended up getting offers from several D3 and NAIA schools. He decided on a D3 close to home because of their academic program. When he told his high school coach he was participating in the school's signing day, the coach was surprised and made the comment he had talked to any college coach about my son. My son's response was priceless, told the coach he been talking to them for two years. Had my son not signed with a college, I think the coach might have cut him as a senior. He pitched very little his senior year, but was 1-0 with a save, 14 ks, 5 walks, and no lie a 0.000 ERA. Don't know how much he'll pitch as a freshman this year because of the large roster but he is using the year to get stronger and pick up his velocity.