Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 AZ Fall Classic Academic Games"

How many scouts are usually there in normal (non-covid) years?  Jr vs Sr?  we weren't there looking to get looked at (2023 in the Jr event) but to get his feet wet. To that end, I think mattysson had a very productive event. He played well at times, and poorly at times but, overall, id say it was beyond his and our expectations.  He learned that he is good enough to play with that caliber of players (was never overmatched and any troubles he had in the batters box originated between his ears) and that he needs to get a whole lot stronger. He's pretty strong compared to his friends and hs teammates but way down the strength list compared to a lot of the guys he saw and played with last weekend. he realized that technique and mechanics are find and dandy but there's a lot that he can't do because he isn't as strong and explosive as some other guys with the same mechanics. they're just a bit quicker and more explosive and that made a huge difference at times. great lesson for the boy.

there were a few scouts around.  a handful of mlb scouts scooting around checking things out. One actually watched my son pitch and had nice things to say (more of a "nice effort" kind of thing). he was a friend of one of our coaches and just hanging out. nothing to get excited about but a cool experience, nonetheless. I also saw a few recruiting services type guys, some D2, 2, naia guys as well as a bunch of those nondescript, unlogoed types. 

in a normal year, I'm assuming there would be more D1 types out there.  are there usually more scouts at the jr event or the sr event?