Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 draft"

@baseballhs posted:

I will be interested to see what the kids actually signed for.  I was really shocked at how many high school players went late.  Maybe it is the college landscape or the uncertainty in Major League Baseball. I think that could have played both ways in decisions.  I was scratching my head at some of the picks and also some of the names that I thought wouldn't sign after round one that had their names called, so I assume a deal had been made.

Well, once you get past the college kids who are 1-3 round picks, you realize college seniors don't have a lot of leverage. They don't need to staff up the minors this summer and seniors can either stay in school or take the same low signing bonuses they will get next year anyway. Many will sign now because if they stay in college until next year, they may get drafted and offered useless bonus money and they can negotiate as free agents this year and get the same kind of low money. So, they might as well negotiate now when they at least have the leverage of shopping around.