Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 Freshman Being Red Shirted"

I actually feel the time clock on my son's offer was more than fair.  He was the program's first 2021 offer and the amount of money they offered him was clear on how serious they were about him.  It was a very generous offer and they want guys who truly want to be there.  The coach is a no nonsense guy and he'd rather lose a recruit than sit around trying to guess what'll any kid will end up doing on whatever time frame the recruit decides.  Essentially, "we've offered you a very good offer which clearly says we really want you.  But we want recruits who truly want us back."  No coach wants to be a kid's fall back offer.  The coach put zero pressure on my son whatsoever.  He gave him a great offer and a fair amount of time (a month) to think it all through.  He told my son there'd be zero hard feelings if he passed on the offer, but if he wasn't truly interested, than they'd want to get on with recruiting someone else and build their 2021 class.  That's more than fair from my vantage point.  Why should a kid get as long as he wants to decide?  There can be only one answer - he wants to wait around and see if he can land a "better" offer.  This coach has no interest in those types of kids.  Nor would I.  Baseball recruiting isn't a buffet where as a kid gets all his options laid out perfectly before him and then simply selects the one that benefits him most.  Life is never that way with anything.  Recruits and coaches are supposed to be in a symbiotic relationship.  Respect and integrity is supposed to go both ways.  That's the ideal, anyway.  Also, my son is a MIF, which is another way of saying he's a dime a dozen.  In the Covid era.  Where 1,000 D1 kids are in the transfer portal.  And money is tight for every program.  Needing more than a month on a very generous offer sends a certain message.  I can't blame any coach for rejecting that message.  This isn't some pressure-ridden 72 hour clock where a coach is trying to force a kid's hand.  It's about putting the program above any recruit.