Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 Freshman Being Red Shirted"

I don't necessarily look at a red-shirt year as a reason to look for another home right away.  Yeah.. its not ideal, but that is the reality of rosters now. Seniors stayed and are taking innings away.  Schools can adjust their recruiting in out years, kids can develop, positions will open up.  My son's team is heavy with returning seniors and every position in the field had a returning player, including the rotation and bullpen.  2 Freshman saw action... one was a DH and the other pitched 2/3 of an inning.  The team they played had a several true Freshman play but they also brought in 19 Freshman this year so i think its Just the composition of their roster.  Another local team i follow had only 2 freshman play in their 3 game series.  perhaps things will change with 4 game conference weekend series but i think this is the reality.  In my son's case, I am encouraged that of the 9 starters this weekend on his team, 4 were RShirted as a Freshman and the first guy out of the pen pitched 1.1 innings as a Fresh.