Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 High School Baseball Season"

TerribleBPthrower posted:

My son's team is 5 games in. He's been starting the district games at C for varsity. He's sat a couple of non-district games because the coach says he doesn't want to wear him out. He also played SS and pitched in a JV game. I'm not really a fan of him playing those positions because we felt like he could finally just focus on the catcher arm path. However, the other way to look at it is at least he's playing and starting. There are a lot of kids in the dugout who would trade places in a heartbeat I'm sure.

It sounds like your son is versatile and off to a great start.  But...  I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know when I say that playing three positions that put unusually high demand on his arm could put your son at risk of injury.  For a long time my son played 3B in games when he wasn't SP.  It took several incidents when he had a sore arm after making a side-armed throw on a bunt or some other awkward throw before he finally moved to 1B and then became a PO.  Lots of factors come into play and I expect you are well aware of the issue.  Just my $0.02 based on my son's experience.