Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 High School Baseball Season"

DBAT-DFW posted:

What part about July are you having a hard time understanding?  After this panic is all over you can apologize to me.  I stand by my original post fully.  If you want to overreact it doesn’t matter to me, but don’t expect me to listen to all this chicken little doomsday nonsense.  It’s the flu.  Happens every year.  And just like any other flu, some people may die from it.  It’s already passed in China so much so that they have closed ALL of their COVID-19 dedicated hospitals.  Come on man.  

If it's just like the flu, how many flu dedicated hospitals did they have?  Yeah, zero.  I mean this in the nicest possible way but you sir are being a dumbass.

Since China is your benchmark let's use the numbers from China.  There are two factors in play here that are very much intertwined.  How infectious the virus is and how deadly the virus is, you can compare both to the flu.  The R0 for Novel Corona is roughly 2.3, where flu is 1.3.  This means for every infected person they infect, on average, about 2 other people where the flu they infect about 1 other person.  Basically the virus spreads twice as fast as flu.

Flu has a hospitalization rate of less than 10%, Covid-19 is trending close to 20%.  Flu death rate is about .1% and Covid-19 is about 2.3%

So, it spreads twice as fast and is an order of magnitude more deadly with a significant number more severe cases needing hospital treatment vs flu.  All of that is a recipe for overwhelming the healthcare system which leads to a triage scenario.  Medical teams basically deciding who to treat with the available resources and who to let die.  If you don't think that happened in China and is currently happening in Italy you are wrong.

So how is China on the back side of this now?  They are a totalitarian Communist country and they absolutely locked down whole areas of the country, millions of people, under penalty of arrest or death.  

We don't do that in the free world so we are dependent upon our neighbors not being dumbasses. If this is behind us in July it will be in spite of people like you, not because Covid-19 is a case of the sniffles as you want to believe.  Social distancing and self quarantine are needed to slow down the spread so that more people don't need treatment at the same time than we have the capacity to treat.  Look online at the people speaking out from Italy via social media and they will absolutely tell you that they wished they had taken it more seriously.