Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 High School Baseball Season"

@Texas1836 posted:

Sent out by our program Wednesday.  Our first two tournaments have been canceled and we will begin playing in mid-June at the earliest.  We do not have team practices.

I'm sure you all know that because of the cancellation of college seasons, the NCAA gave all college players their year back.  Because of that, it'll be years before college baseball programs get back to normal.  For example, [SEC program] had 20 freshmen in the fall.  All those kids will be freshmen again and they will also have around 20 more in coming freshmen in the class of 2020.  There are only 35 on a roster.  Only 27 are allowed to be on scholarship.  As you can see, the math doesn't add up.  With that being said, it's going to be much harder to find homes for our kids.  I've talked to many college coaches about this and they all say that their class of '21 will be very small.  [Non-power 5 good D1] has 7 committed and will most likely not commit anymore.  Some schools say they'll only commit 3-4.  But, there is no reason that our kids can't be one of those 3-4.  Please remind them how important it is to email coaches and to be very persistent.  I'm not going to slow down on trying to help them and neither are our other coaches!  I know this seems scary for the uncommitted kids and their families but I believe when it's said and done that everything will be ok.

this is tough one, I don't see any good coming from it quickly. I do think the economics will sort out the players sooner rather then later for the 21 class it is going to be slim pickings.

I would think by 22 it will be much less and 23 the pipeline cleared. For anyone who is a current college player concerned about scholarship money the 5th year will only be an option for the absolute top players who don't get drafted. For the rest even though they may have eligibility they would have to pay the full freight, that is going to shrink the numbers quickly. 

the whole thing is a damn shame.