Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 High School Baseball Season"

@James G posted:

After this news they should immediately retract some of the restrictions we have heard about with equipments, wiping down surfaces, water cooler/cups, etc changing balls

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...rfaces-objects%3famp

Why? Just because asbestos “is not thought to be the main way” that you get lung cancer doesn’t mean that you should start insulating your house with it. 

The science behind the ability of the virus to live for days on surfaces hasn’t changed at all. The original study (from NIH, look it up), states that viruses could remain active/infectious on surfaces for up to 3 days, depending on the surface. That is still the case. But even when the study came out, you could read the data and see that it wasn’t like 500k virus remained viable on a cardboard box for 3 days. It was more like 5-10 still had active RNA. 

What has changed is that researchers are growing in their understanding what the infectious dose is. It isn’t 5-10.  It’s perhaps as low as 1,000, but likely higher  Hence the revisions here. It isn’t like the CDC/NIH/WHO are just throwing random theories at a wall.

An abundance of caution where possible and feasible is still something that makes sense, especially if it contributes to an atmosphere of awareness. I’m happy to learn that it’s unlikely that my catcher son is going to receive an infection because he tossed the bat away from the plate in anticipation of a play at home.

But if the coach on the bucket (who hopefully has a mask on, keeping him from touching his mucous membranes quite as often) can grab the leftover bat out of the on-deck circle instead of a player, I’m happy to see that happen instead. 

Like Dr Angelou said: “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”