Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 High School players signing as Undrafted Free Agents"

Just to add some info. Son went back after almost 10 years, and 2 years after leaving MLB. I didnt know there was a time limit. I also thought it was within 3 years of leaving MLB. He played a year in independent and went to play in Mexico to make the extra money needed, because he WAS going back. When he signed in 2007 yearly tuition  at Clemson was 20k, which is the amount he negotiated and agreed. It was about 30k when he returned for OOS.  

For those that do not know quite a few programs have funds available for their returning athletes. At Clemson it's called the Tiger fund. It's not uncommon at P5 programs because they NEED you to graduate.  It is, I think a very important question to ask during recruiting especially if the player can be signed out of HS.

Anyway, also included was a 1200 stipend per month for living expenses paid up front per semester. Plus the 32 credits. 

One thing to note. Every time a player moves up a notch in pro ball, his scholarship money is reduced by 1000.  So the longer you put it off, the more it might cost you. 

I do not know of anyone of my friends sons or his friends that were drafted  that did not graduate, or finish up right away. I have a friend whose son was drafted out of HS and got his degree from an online school. By the time he was done playing he had his degree. 

I didn't really understand why a HS player would not go to college first, but all situations are different.