Skip to main content

2020 just wants to pitch.......

Hello everyone,

Been lurking for a while and just got up the nerve to ask for some advice. To give you a little background, I have a 2020 that started playing baseball about 3 years ago. At the time he was the chubby kid, not much talent but if he wanted it, his mom and I were going to support him. He was about 5'6" and weighed 200. He is an A student as well. He had never pitched before and because of his age during the upcoming season he was expected to pitch. We decided to seek out a pitching coach and a local ex major league pitcher was recommended. Fast forward 3 years and our chubby son is now a 6'2" 185lb 14 year old. He has been with the same pitching instructor for 3 years now and the improvement has been nothing short of astonishing. 2015 was his first year as member of a traveling team. It was a wonderful experience for him. He was 13 on a 14U team. He was chosen for the team because of his pitching potential and they would have him for 2 years on the same team to help him develop. We couldn't be happier. He has been blessed with a wonderful pitching instructor and coach. Both have taken a personal interest in his development. Currently he plays first, third and pitches. He is above average at first and has a lot of work to do at third. His bat is average.  

Now to my question.....

He loves to pitch and this is what he wants to do. He understands that to be a part of a team he has to play other positions and he does enjoy playing the infield, but nothing compares to pitching. I have been told by 2 HS coaches that they would love to have an incoming freshmen with his size and mechanics. This has also been echoed by a couple DII pitchers that have watched him pitch and were very impressed.

Is he too young to only want to pitch or is he too young to only pitch?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Original Post