Skip to main content

Reply to "2020 just wants to pitch......."

LuvMyKids posted:

...he does enjoy playing the infield, but nothing compares to pitching. I have been told by 2 HS coaches that they would love to have an incoming freshmen with his size and mechanics. This has also been echoed by a couple DII pitchers that have watched him pitch and were very impressed.

Is he too young to only want to pitch or is he too young to only pitch?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Welcome to the site.  You said he does enjoy playing the infield and then you asked if he is too young to only want to pitch.  So there is a bit of contradiction / confusion. 

Assuming he does enjoy playing the infield, I would encourage him to continue to do so for all the good reasons mentioned... continue to develop a first hand knowledge of the game, enjoy playing more and sitting less, use less pitching bullets, potentially develop a love for other aspects of the game as well, contribute to HS team in other ways, etc.   He may develop into a real hitter and this could present a whole other set of exciting baseball "moments" for him to enjoy.  If he doesn't like playing elsewhere, that's another story.  I know plenty of 14 yo's that are better at pitching than any other position.  I sure don't know many 14 yo's that just plain don't like to play baseball outside of pitching.