Skip to main content

Reply to "2020's Where should he be?"

baseballhs posted:
joes87 posted:
baseballhs posted:
joes87 posted:
baseballhs posted:
StrainedOblique posted:

That said, we have only sent things to the top programs that he really wants.   On PBR, all but two kids above him in ranking for his position are committed and about 20 immediately below him.  I think a lot of this is that he hasn't been seen a lot (not on a top travel team).  The only way a college coach would have seen him to date would be at a showcase or a camp, or through video he sent.

Wish I had more time to type up a longer reply, but its very busy at work today...

Do a search on this website.  It sounds to me like there is not a recruiting plan in place.  There is lots of info on hear about how to approach this.  Your son needs to be actively marketing himself to schools at all levels.  You need to approach this with a very wide net.  If it was me, I would shoot a video, put together an athletic resume and an email template that I could send out.  I would then target about 100 schools sending them an email with the resume and a link to the video attached.  Out of that 100 schools you will probably get a serious bite from 20 of them (in general camp invites are not serious interest).  Once you have your list of 20 have your son (not you) start a dialog with those coaches through email or over the phone.  My guess is out of those 20 you will find about half of them are really interested.  You will need to find a way to get in front of those 10 coaches.  Either through camps, showcases or them coming to see your son play.  After that you will hopefully have 5 or 6 schools who are really interested in your son.  From that point forward those are the schools you should concentrate on, but at the same time you need to keep the other schools updated and marketing your son to other programs as well.

We have a website with video and a basic email that he personalized to each school with stats and achievements .  I've been looking at other schools to send to.  The  schools he is talking to currently do seem to have real interest. They talk on the phone weekly and have invited him for UV. They have spoken to his coaches and asked for his schedule. I just want to make sure we have backups.  

Your son's pitching measurables are similar to my 2020 son.  If multiple coaches are answering his call every week or so, there is real interest.  One of the questions they will ask is "do you have a offer yet?"  As soon as he gets one, the news will travel quickly (you can help that/his travel coach should help that).  An offer from a school that is too far/not right etc is still very helpful in gauging the level of your son from college coaches eyes AND getting other schools to take a look sooner rather than later.

The V-Tool circuit in Texas will be well scouted this summer for the 2020 class.  Son will play some of them, play PG and other big events.

The guest pitcher/big deal tourney (WWBAs etc) is good advice.  Can be risky if you don't know any of the coaches/situations, but worth it if it works out.  That was the path for my son last summer and things worked out well.  He did well and met some great people.  Take your videos/stats and reach out to some of the top travel teams that play WWBA.  Get on one.  Fly in and eat steak.  Enjoy it.

Just like to add, it's rarely the wrong course to play the best competition possible.

Good luck!