Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 College Baseball Season"

I guess this thread is as good as any for this post. There have been ongoing discussions for months about how Covid and related NCAA rulings have impacted college baseball. Many (including me) have speculated that because of the events that gave unfolded talent will be pushed down to lower levels and all of college baseball will become more competitive. I think there have been plenty of examples in D1 & D2 where this has played out as expected. More D1 players staying on campus due to reduced MLB draft, larger roster sizes all across D1 & D2 landscape, seniors returning for 5th & 6th years, D1 talent going D2 to get on the field, etc. This week I saw evidence of the same at D3. The University of Texas at Dallas is a good (but not great) D3 program. It is a rare bird, however, in that it’s a public HA university that offers graduate programs. Business & Engineering departments are particularly respected. Their current travel roster lists 8 transfers; 3 D1, 1 D2, and 4 JuCo. Starting 2B is a grad transfer from Cornell. Completely unheard of before Covid.