Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 D3/HA D1 Check-In"

I don’t know any more than anyone else (and I’m not sure anybody knows anything in this strange year), but a November/December timetable doesn’t seem to make sense. Coaches want players to commit, and without the ED process, I don’t see how that could happen. Players would need to apply to multiple schools in case their baseball school fell through. HA D3s sometimes issue likely letters, but never guarantee admission. Applying ED means 1) you pick a single school and 2) have the backup of the regular process if things go sideways. It wouldn’t surprise me to see things happen later than usual, but If I were a 2021 I would assume ED application deadlines are my cutoff date.

Also, fwiw, I have read that schools are expecting to admit more applicants than ever via ED this year, because they want to know as much as possible about what their yield will be. I can’t say if that’s true, but it seems reasonable. 

ED admission is the major benefit of applying as an athlete at an HA D3. Sure, you can try to walk on. But in that case you are in the pool with all other non-“tipped” applicants.