Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 - First Offer, Looking for Guidance"

MarkSmith21,

100% agree with IowaMom23 that the first offer can be very exciting.   Taking some time to gain perspective is some really good advice if this is not a dream school.   My son's first offer was presented as a "place holder" offer by a local RC at a private D1 that is 20 minutes from our house.   He told us there was "no deadline" and they continued to watch him at showcases.   Well that "no deadline" quickly changed when they learned other schools were interested and began offering.   Their "placeholder" offer quickly doubled in value, and my son was given a 3 day deadline over the weekend while he was attending a prospect camp for another school that would also offer.  So, the offering RC was turning the screws to get an answer and frankly I don't blame him.   You may run into this with your son's offer.   For my son, the first offer was not a dream school but it came pretty close.   If they had offered an engineering major, he might have taken their first offer.   For us, it was a case of truly knowing what your son wants to get out of his 4 years.   So, he made the difficult decision of turning down the first offer to pursue other opportunities that were a better academic fit.   My son stuck to his guns, and didn't waiver on what he wanted.   This was both maddening and rewarding.

Good luck! 

Last edited by fenwaysouth