Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 - First Offer, Looking for Guidance"

Just remember there are two sides to every negotiation and that is what this is.  You can't get caught up in the mindset that they hold all the cards because that is their job to make you feel that way.  (My son does it every day in his job as RC).  But there are reasonable timeframes.  As in love, some times the best thing is when someone else likes you too.  It makes your stock go up.  For some of us, we have to be reminded that we are not the only ones who would love our spouses.  We are just the ones they chose.  (sorry I'm preaching on Five Love Languages this week.)  But it is the same in college offers.  The more schools that are interested more negotiating power you have.  But let me also say from my 2019 son's experience.  When someone gives you what you are wanting, in life or in recruiting, why would you keep looking for greener grass.  My son got almost exactly what he wanted and became hesitant hoping something better would come along.  I had to question him as to who that would be.  He had full-ride offers from schools that he were on list but not high and a good offer from an SEC school that was top 5 on list.  There was no more negotiating and no  more offers coming we could forsee.  He made the call.  So know when to say yes and when to say wait.  Like life.

I'll save the rest of my sermon for Sunday morning.  But I will take additions to it if you guys want to help.