Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 - First Offer, Looking for Guidance"

You all have been more helpful than you know!  I am simply a dad that has enjoyed his son's journey from T-ball up to now and still enjoying it!  His goal has been to play college baseball and not necessarily at any certain level.  We took the approach of keep working hard and showcase once the measurables were there and didn't expect to be in this position, but like he said "its a good problem to have dad". 

After doing a couple showcases and seeing the talent there along with every weekend in the many different tournaments I feel that we have focused in on the right level for him.  And I agree, there are thousands of kids like mine out there dreaming and working for attention.  Sure, every kid would dream to play for Arkansas or Vandy, but I have heard so many stories similar to KEEWART and my son is realizing that the chance to play at one of those schools and thrive is very slim for him.  He has good measurables and plays hard but doesn't pass the eye test of a lot of recruiters and scouts (5'-10" 160 isn't what UT is looking for) - I hate even typing that but I do live in reality. 

I like what was mentioned above - my son has gotten what he has been working for so why keep looking for greener grass?  I guess our local coaches and friends are all saying "wait till next year and I bet he will get a lot more".  Well, the odds don't align with that logic to me.  If he was top 1000 maybe, but then again nothing is certain.  Sorry for the rambling...

The stuff I learned over the last year from this site alone helped us tremendously as he started reaching out to coaches and figuring out the best strategy to get recruited!

I will also say this, he is ready to commit to them.  It is only me that is trying to hold up the process to make sure it is a good decision for him (believe it or not 16yr olds can make pretty bad decisions haha)...