Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 - First Offer, Looking for Guidance"

marksmith21 posted:

……………………….

I would like your opinions on something:

1) Is it a fair concern to bring to the coach regarding the fact that once son commits he is off the board and no one else will recruit him.  This puts the benefit of him committing into the favor of the college.  I have read and heard of many stories of schools over-committing kids or finding someone they like better and then pulling the verbal offers last minute before the NLI is signed.  I would like to get the coaches take on this concern and see what his response would be.  Is this a fair concern to bring up or will he most likely tell us what we want to hear?  Is this something I could ask the coach or should son be the one asking (I am more concerned about it that he is and I feel I could express the concern more clearly)?

Thanks!

I'd probably listen to what they have to say overall about their program then ask questions.   As others have pointed out, the risk is on your son's committment.  However, I think they are demonstrating a serious financial commitment and interest given your orginial post.   They are putting their money where their mouth is.  

I'd rephrase your question to the coach a little bit, to focus on the process, timelines and milestones.  Remember this is a two way street, but you have to protect yourself.   The likelihood of something happening once both have committed to each other is slight, but it does happen.   Most of us that have been on this Board for any length of time know somebody that had their commitment go sideways.   Keep in mind your son can still talk to other programs with the understanding that he is committed.  Speaking from experience, my son committed but still had a number of schools reachout with serious interest after he committed.   He told them he was committed, however they requested that he stay in touch.   There was one school in particular within his conference that wanted to stay in touch on a regular basis, which we did.   We were more than happy to stay in touch with these coaches until he was formally accepted to a HA school.   No harm, no foul.    This how the game is played with baseball recruiting (especially HA baseball recruiting), and I would do it again in a heartbeat.   

Good luck!