Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 - First Offer, Looking for Guidance"

marksmith21 posted:

I would like your opinions on something:

1) Is it a fair concern to bring to the coach regarding the fact that once son commits he is off the board and no one else will recruit him.  This puts the benefit of him committing into the favor of the college.  I have read and heard of many stories of schools over-committing kids or finding someone they like better and then pulling the verbal offers last minute before the NLI is signed.  I would like to get the coaches take on this concern and see what his response would be.  Is this a fair concern to bring up or will he most likely tell us what we want to hear?  Is this something I could ask the coach or should son be the one asking (I am more concerned about it that he is and I feel I could express the concern more clearly)?

Thanks!

This is not something you should ask the coach. That is the whole point of his offer - to get your son off the board and at his school. Yes the school is in the drivers seat, but that is all part of the game. You can hold out and say we're going to explore other options but that is basically a no and they move on. You can hold out for as long as you'd like. But if there is somebody better than you, they're not going to wait. Verbal now or verbal in September of his senior year, just know that if he says no he is essentially walking away from an offer. Unless there are other offers or you expect equal/better schools to come calling it is gamble. 

Either verbal or let him know you're still very interested but don't want to decide until next summer. But that just really means - he's not ready to commit here. And sounds like he is just looking for more attractive offers elsewhere. Usually not something that sits well with coaches after you have expressed interest.