Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 Roll Call"

This summer was a big season for my C to get noticed, he has about 9 D1 schools he is talking to now. Sorry I'm unclear on what constitutes a P5 or mid D1 but the schools seem to be sprinkled over different leagues and varying success in playoffs. 

Most of these schools had started the conversation with him before 9/1 but a few more contacted on 9/1 or a few days later and we have school visits in the works for a few. A few others asked him to go to their winter camp even though he's been to their summer camps the past 3 years so not sure of the true interest or wanting to fill out a camp.

A few of the things I think that helped him:

- His measurables were already at or near what folks on this board have said D1's are looking for as a HS sophomore.

- He played on a good travel team in our area with coaches that are respected in the baseball community (a few of the coaches are former MLB and now scout for MLB teams etc... so good connections).

- The team has a history of players committing to colleges, that also helps with the connections.

- The team played in tournaments were lots of college coaches attended.

- A pitcher on the team was touching 90's so that drew many of the CC to the games. And my son caught for this pitcher most of the time in game.

- He played on a few regional teams that went to heavily scouted tournaments.

- He hit well at tournaments. Always made top 20 in the PG all tournament list when playing those tournaments.

- He received AC tryout and call back for the 2020 class. Amazed at how many scouts and CC were at those.

- He has a great personality:-) I don't think this gets mentioned much but have those good interpersonal skills that can leave a good impression with a coach when they interact with you can really help.