Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 Roll Call"

Rankings don't matter. At all. Unless you're trying to work an invite to PG National or the PBR futures they mean nothing. The 13th overall pick in the MLB draft wasn't highly ranked by PG, he wasn't even a PG All American, yet he was the 5th high schooler off the board. Mine is ranked top 15 in our state for his class. He's not even listed on PBR. We've never been to a paid PBR event. He's currently at a P5 school. 

A coach might take a look at the rankings to make sure he's not missing anybody when he heads to a tournament or knows he is going to be watching a a kid play for a strong program and wants to see what else they have. I really think the rankings are just a way to draw people to the site. It's a legitimate source that is pretty accurate. People want to see who the #1 player in country is. They go to PG for that. Joe Smith from CT is a pretty good player. He wants to see where he's ranked. 44? His parents see that and take him to a showcase for $699 to get that ranking up because they think coaches recruit based on rankings. It's extra clicks (more ads) and more money being spent on showcases. All this talk about how PG has all these crosscheckers and eyes everywhere. You ever seen one at a non PG event? The guys are good at identifying talent, but it's all about who you play for and how your perform at their events. PG puts out a very good product. I'm pro PG. But the rankings are more of a crapshoot based on how well you've done at their events. Not exactly an accurate indication of how good these players are compared to each other. More of a - this is who's done well at PG - situation.