Skip to main content

Reply to "2021 Roll Call"

Wechson posted:
adbono posted:
Wechson posted:

@adbono  the ONE measurable that seems to carry full weight is fastball velo.  My guy gave up 7 walks all summer, had a sub .70 WHIP against solid competition all season.  Clowned kids at HF with his location and off speed stuff.  Guys who were turning on other kids heaters. Suspect he would have been signed (he certainly got conversations started) if he was throwing high 80s as opposed to low 80s.  But that velo threshold appears to be the reality so all good...just have to keep training for that one specific thing and suspect the rest will fall into place. 

That’s true and it’s frustrating to a lot of us.  And I was a hard thrower ! Not saying I’m a total convert but point is to get hitters out.  Keep doing that and someone will give him a chance. Problem is that it may not be where you want. That makes for tough decisions. 

He’s almost certainly aiming for HA D1 or D3.  If for whatever reason the off-season adds truly significant speed then we’ll cross the bridge, a good problem to have outcome.  He seems happy with this direction. 

A low 80s 2021 should be able to get up to mid 80s by next summer. You appear to be form NY. If you're looking at schools in the NE, the D1 divisions are not like the D1s down south or out west for the most part, mid 80s will get you looks and mid to high will get you offers. I'm assuming your kid is a RHP, the numbers are lower for a lefty.

The school that my son eventually committed to had seen video and rapsodo reports on him. When they finally got out to see him, he came in in the 6th inning up 3-2, gave up several bloop hits and got walked off on in the 7th.

Final line was: 1.2IP, 5H, 2R, 2ER, 5K, 1BB, and he hit a kid with the bases loaded in the 6th. But he was 87-88 with and had just hit 90 down in GA. Velo will open doors.