Skip to main content

Reply to "2021s"

If you asked me a couple months ago, I would have unquestionably leaned towards a "sky is falling approach" to 2021s.  But since then, I've seen nothing to substantiate it.  I was so worried that many good players would be left with no offers.  Boy, was I worried for nothing.  We are still seeing 2021s in our area (frankly, quite a few that I never considered college-caliber) committing.  Not every day, as it's slowed down some, but it's still regularly happening.  But the "stature" of the programs is certainly heading downward - generally speaking.  Mostly seeing D2 JUCOs and NAIA commitments at this point.  We're in Omaha - without question the "epicenter" of NE baseball in terms of population/players.  For reference, Kansas City is 3 hours away and Des Moines is 2.

My son's buddy committed to a stronger D2 JUCO program just a couple weeks ago, but we know it involved no money.  My guess is that anything coming in now involves zero athletic monies or very close to it.

So why does all seem fine/normal?  My best guess is that a good portion of it of is too good to be true.  I am predicting what I call "delayed carnage."  I think xmas break of 2021 could be much darker for many than it normally is.  The bubble bursts and cuts and transfers become pervasive.  I'd love to be wrong; I just don't know how the system can hold up the surplus weight for very long.

One piece of good news I'll share.  My 2021 is committed to JUCO where the coach genuinely likes to run small/smaller rosters.  30-35 guys and never above 35.  When my son toured there in July, the coach told us he was reluctantly going to run with 39 due to Covid this season.  But that didn't come to pass.  He's moved 8ish guys (6 to D1 4-years and 2 to D2) on over the past 2 months.  A really great surprise because my son MIGHT actually stand a shot of being on a 35 or less roster this fall.  I'm not counting chickens before they're hatched, but it's been awesome to see the coach moving guys on this fall all things considered.  Again, mostly D1 4-year schools.