Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Advice Requested"

Thank you CBRG. I didn't understand that I would have needed to provide more information to satisfy the request.

I've seen a multitude of threads go awry in my time lurking, and I never wanted to be that guy (it's always a guy). So if I did end up that way (and of course I don't see myself in that vein), my apologies. 

If there seems to be a disconnect, then again, my apologies. I don't believe that I have unreal views of son's abilities. I have never said/felt that he deserved a position above any of those who have been placed above him in teams. Perhaps the disconnect may be in that I think/feel/believe that there is time (and work ethic) for him to develop yet into a player that can play at any level, given time.

Here's the baseball-specific metrics/info, if they help:

• 16 and 0 mos
  • 173 lbs (+18 in 8 mos)
  • 6'2 (+2 in. in 8 mos)
  • 7.9 60 (8 mos ago) (yikes)
  • 86 exit velo (8 mos ago)
  • 76 C velo  (8 mos ago)
  • 2.02 pop (8 mos ago)
  • Tied or led freshman team in all batting metrics (so what)
  • Led summer team in all batting metrics (so what)
  • HS V team had a P5 D1 (signed as a freshman) 2020 as primary catcher, with a D2 2019 as backup/1B catcher.
    • Even if he was good enough for V (and he wasn't), they had zero need of him there
    • And he frankly wasn't as good as the JV catcher at that time. He may or may not be now

Academic metrics:

• 4.0 through freshman year
  • All gifted classes
  • 2 AP class in sophomore year
  • STEM-focused curriculum in high school

The consensus of advice (the ask of the thread) seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of a full summer season his rising junior summer, against the best possible competition, in the best team he can attain. Fall will be determined by the success of the above. And as for STEM-focused, he will likely need to try to go after a D3 (Johns Hopkins, Embry-Riddle, Rose Hullman, etc,) to continue that pathway.

If any of the above changes the ideal path, please let me know.

Thanks so much for all the help, everyone