Skip to main content

2022 Caltech question

Hi All - new to the forum.  Question about Caltech early action process.  2022 has been in consistent contact with Coach Whitehead for last several months (seems like a great guy from my conversation with him).  Applied EA and got a letter of support from Coach.  Although EA decisions don't come out for a week or so, this weekend, he received a letter from Coach talking about their plans for the 2022 class and upcoming EA timeline.  Honestly, it reads like he's been accepted - coach is excited about making him part of the program, how he looks forward to discussing player's decision, understanding where he is so they can make support decisions for the RD applicants.  There's a 'Whatever admissions decides...' statement, but that's definitely not the tone of the letter overall.  He's been pretty realistic about his chances at Caltech but this letter has him super excited.  Is anyone familiar with this process and/or familiar with this kind of letter?  Seems like a form of a 'likely letter' but my understanding is Caltech doesn't do those.  Plus it came from Coach and not Admissions.  I'm just a little concerned he's getting too excited over this and am looking for some insights that might help him interpret what it means, if anything.  Thanks!

Original Post