Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Caltech question"

1. @Dadbelly2023 posted:

That is amazing.  Your son got into Caltech!   You must be incredibly proud.  Personally I'd have a Caltech t-shirt , sweatshirt, and whatever other swag I could wear and parade around my city.  "Why yes... My son does go to Caltech.  How did you know?  Oh! I forgot I was wearing this."   

Semi related...  Have you ever noticed that when you meet someone who went to Stanford, they work it into the conversation within the first 5 minutes?  Test it out.

I lived in the northeast until I was sixteen. I returned when I was thirty-eight. Ivy Leaguers have a tremendous ability to work it into the conversation. One told me Ivy Leaguers are taught things other top universities don’t teach students. I couldn’t help but ask, “How to be an intellectual snob?”

I don’t have anything against people who go to Ivies. It’s an accomplishment to get accepted. But once we’re adults and successful how much does it matter where we started? You could make an argument people who had to kick down the door versus having it opened for them are mentally tougher.

My education was next level down from Ivy. Some people see it as HA. I’ll stick with next level. There are high quality schools that aren’t Ivy, Duke, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Northwestern. I’m talking major universities, not small colleges.

As for hiring I preferred ex military and athletes. Lose is not in their vocabulary.

Last edited by RJM