Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Caltech question"

Congratulations to your son!  Wonderful Christmas present.

Regarding where one went to school.  It can be awkward and dependant on audience, or even more awkward.  I've found most of my friends that went to such schools; the athletes and top performers, if asked, they said where they went without missing a beat, and they didn't care if they wore their alma mater sweatshirt and people asked. Very non chalant. Then there were others that were equally successful from those schools, that found it easier to say they went to school in Vermont, Boston, or Conn....they were awkward of saying where they went because they didn't want questions or were going out of their way not to brag.....they also didn't realize, being vague prompted that question: where did you go to schoolt?'....Totally get it.  It's all a mess.

Quite an achievement to get into these schools, no need to be embarrased, don't be an ass.

I went to a good school, and attended a nightmare event at the  JFK school of govt, a party with  a classmate showing up: saying "ring check" while everyone was mixing it up at the cocktail event.  Really was embarassing. All my grad buddy's left immediately.

Can be awkward. Good luck. Check it at the door.

(Caveat: have known plenty of Ivy grads, other top schools, who couldn't get along with people. They didn't get very far.....)

Most corporations love collegiate athletes. Discipline, get along with  the majority, handle disappointment.....