Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Caltech question"

Update Jan 2023 - S has 1 term under his belt now.  Loves everything about the experience - classes, professors, weather, classmates, baseball.  Academics are no joke - told me after the first week that there's a 50/50 chance he graduates.  But he has it under control now and got great grades first term.  He lives in a triple with 2 other baseball freshman and this has turned out to be critical for their success - academics are a team effort at Caltech.  Problem sets are way to hard for any one person to figure out.  I've heard about many night where 15-20 people are in his room working on Physics problems sets until 3AM.  They're also having a lot of college fun but academics are def the priority for everyone there.

During the fall, he was largely on his own baseball wise.  We'll see how the season goes - 6 day a week practices start next week and games shortly after.  They only play 3 games/week so season stretches into late April.  Roster size is pretty small (24 with 8 freshmen) so most everyone is likely going to have a chance to contribute. Perfect decision for him - I've never seen him so happy!