Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 College Season"

It's not the conditions.  Look at the pitching stats of a D3 conference and compare runs to earned runs. In decent good-weather D3 conferences like the SCIAC and the SAA, 21-24% of the runs are unearned (SCAC was lower at 17%).

I was curious about other levels, so I looked at two P5s, a mid-major, and a D2 conference - all their numbers were similar to each other, 16-18% of the runs are unearned.  Actually I was somewhat surprised it was so high.

Mind you, all these numbers are just for the league-leading pitchers whose stats are posted.

Yes, agree, it's not the conditions, most of the games I've watched were turf fields or were spring break games south.  I also think there are a lot of 3rd and 1st basemen who are playing out of their normal position just to get the bat in the lineup... I wish coaches would have a better understanding that these are very specific skill positions and not just anyone can be put there.  But then again I don't think anyone unless you're left handed practices position specific skills anymore at those positions, they certainly don't spend the time teaching it.  Too many goalies at third and at first nobody knows how to stretch or work below he ball.   Also lots of throwing yips so far, especially second basemen.   I will be kind and maybe chalk it up to early season... when conference games start I'll re-evaluate.