Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 College Season"

@used2lurk wrote, “what a difference between Oakland U (the worst team I saw) and Oklahoma State (the best).

This point is spot on and something that the casual college baseball observer may not understand. All D1 baseball is not the same. At the bottom it isn’t good at all. The best HS teams in FL, TX, & CA could beat lowest level D1 teams. At the other end of the spectrum the best D1 teams are capable of beating an MLB team on a rare occasion. Before I hear from the doubters about that let me offer up an anecdotal experience. The last 2 years I played at Texas A&M we played the Houston Astros right before MLB opening day. They beat us pretty soundly in the Astrodome my junior year. But senior year the Astros came to Olsen Field and we beat them 1-0 in 10 innings when Rodney Hodde hit a solo HR over the batters eye in CF. I was warming up in the bullpen to pitch the 11th when it happened and had a perfect vantage point to admire the majesty of that blast. Nolan Ryan was so pissed that he didn’t go thru the handshake line after the game.