Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 College Season"

@RJM posted:

I was an impartial observer. I knew why the play was called the way it was as soon as I saw the replay. From a technical standpoint it’s the right call. But, UConn had zero chance of getting the hitter at first or preventing the run. It’s when the common sense of “let them play” and don’t inject officiating into altering the outcome game comes into play.

Quote from the coach:

"Maryland coach Rob Vaughn said the way the rule was enforced was right, whether he liked it or not."

Lots of things could have worked differently; nobody really knows. Would he have been safe regardless? Perhaps, probably. But the play could have been altered by Alleyne's path. I've seen many players flip the ball from their glove to the fielder covering the bag in one motion. This pitcher? Probably not. But perhaps had Alleyne been in the running lane he'd (pitcher) have made a better throw. We just don't know. But you can't argue he didn't have a shot at throwing him out with a better throw. Was his throw affected by the running lane violation. I'd say it's entirely possible...

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1