Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 College Season"

@PitchingFan posted:

Everybody thinks when they see that baseball players have NIL deals that they are getting rich but I don't think that is the case.  There are a few that the schools are paying to come play which I think should be changed.  The NIL should have to be an endorsement from someone for the use of their Name, Image, and/or Likeness, as it says.  Just paying someone to come to school should be stopped.  But once you open the can there is no way to unopen it.  My son has multiple deals which altogether net him a few thousand dollars which he will have to pay taxes on so very little when it comes down to it.  Plus the NIL deals are being brokered at a lot of schools by companies that are getting rich while paying the athletes very little.  We are in the early stages of a problem with one at our school because they set the deal and are trying to override individual agreements with athletes and businesses.

I agree with you on this. NIL doesn't mean that you can just throw money at kids. That's not how it works and not meant to be that way and I think once these kids get to their destination they are going to be surprised. They haven't even set foot on campus. The NCAA lost its case and the court never asked to have them set rules. I see the conferences stepping in.

I made a mistake Florida put a law into place last year to protect the players. Not sure where they are with it today.

I read that the student athletes who are influences are kicking it. Mainly women athletes. They accept athletic products to wear and post online and give reviews. They get paid by the number of followers they have. I think I read that one has reaped in about 300k from last year wearing athletic gear.

I also read that many schools help athletes to learn how to market themselves, not just throwing money at them.