Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Fall Camp/showcase priority"

PROBEAGLE posted:

I think there is a chance my son would drop football his junior year especially if Summer coach convinced him for recruiting purposes. I think risk of injury prior to an offer is second to risk of not being seen in a particular camp. I know that last year's baseball team had several D1 commits and still a few committed seniors today are playing football. It's a personal decision that may become clearer next year.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it definitely is a personal decision for each and can be a difficult one.  If a HS athlete loves playing multiple sports and is talented enough to compete for playing time at each, I think it is a great experience - and once in a lifetime.  As has been discussed at length, there are also many cross-over benefits for the baseball player who plays other sports.  Of course, every decision comes with consequences.  The likely and potential gains and losses must be weighed.  There are certainly some circumstances for particular athletes where it is in their best interest to switch over and focus on one. 

To Wildcat's question - I love football but have seen more than my share of baseball careers derailed on the football field.   Sure, you can get hurt playing any sport but football takes far more casualties than others.  At the same time, it is a sport that cannot be played tentatively.  So, if you're in, be all in.  

Probeagle, I do think it is helpful that your son is a baseball position player as opposed to a P.  It is particularly difficult for a P to go through that physical pounding of football during the week and Friday night and then try to perform on the baseball field over the weekend.  Still not easy but more doable for a position player.

For the most part, if you are a talented enough baseball player, you can still execute an effective recruiting plan without giving up other sports... at least up to a point.

Baseball beyond HS may or may not happen, for a variety of reasons.  You will remember your HS sports experiences for the rest of your life.  At the end of the day, I always lean toward "go for it" where feasible.

Last edited by cabbagedad