Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 Fall Camp/showcase priority"

wildcat posted:

Jumping in on this since I have a 2022 who plays football. How do/did you handle injury risk during football season when fall baseball showcase/camps are important as well? My son wants to drop football next year (junior year) just for that reason, however he loves football and it would also be a tough one for his team to absorb due to declining football participation overall and because he is a starter so he will undoubtedly feel a lot of pressure to keep playing. Was injury  or risk of injury from football ever a factor in baseball recruiting?

In my son's experience, playing football was always something looked at in a positive light by coaches during recruiting process. As for my son's thoughts, he never mentioned not wanting to play so it was never an option. He did have a scare during our first scrimmage of senior year where one of our DE's rolled through his leg/knee during a tackle. It happened on other sideline so I could not see who it was initially but when I could not find him walking back to sideline and saw the player in obvious pain holding his leg, I thought football season was over and his opportunities to play baseball were going to be put on hold. Sprinted over and our school PT was testing his knee which scared the crap out of both of us. I would say he was lucky that day (no ACL/MCL tear) but after watching film and talking to him about the experience, there is no doubt in my mind that his commitment to the weightroom (since summer before his frosh year), was deciding factor. It was such a significant blow to lateral side of his knee that the primary muscles involved in knee extension shut down so he could not flex knee at all while he was down. Obviously scared the crap out of him. 

I think much of it has to do with level of play/competition and football position. My son was an OLB/DE, playing for a top 5 program in our state. Probably way more risk in that situation as compared to playing a skill position in a smaller classification.