Skip to main content

Reply to "2022 High School Season"

@ARCEKU21 posted:

Any chance you guys are playing in the Round Rock tournament this weekend? That is where we were supposed to be today. The bus was leaving at 7am for an 11:30am DH. But since today was canceled, we are now heading out later today for two games tomorrow.

I always thought the Round Rock tourney was a great way to start the season. The level of competition is really good and in one weekend you can get a decent idea of what you have to work with. The first time there was in 2015 when my middle son was a senior. His HS baseball program had been a dumpster fire for years and a good coach (that knew how to build a program) had been brought in. But parents got wind that he was going to cut upperclassmen that couldn’t help the team in favor of some younger players that could (including my youngest son). These parents (which included 3 RISD employees) banded together, created false allegations, and got the good coach run off over Christmas break to protect their kids spots on the roster. They then brought in a puppet, with zero experience as a HC, that they could control. Puppet’s first game was the opener of 2015 Round Rock tournament. His team were visitors in that game and went into the 7th inning trailing 7-3. Team goes 3 up and 3 down - and the players started packing up their gear. Puppet had not left the 3rd base coaching box and began hollering at his players to get their gloves and take the field. The base umpire was standing nearby with drop jaw (as I was). Ump walks over to Puppet and says, “coach, the game is over.” Let that sink in for a moment. The HC for a 6A HS baseball program in Texas didn’t know when the game was over. An umpire had to tell him. The three most talented underclass players in the program (including my son) all transferred at the end of the year. Puppet lasted 2 more years before the snakes that brought him in got rid of him and he hasn’t coached a baseball game at any age level since then. To steal a tag line from @Consultant, true story!